Two days off in a week, means two demolition/fire/destruction/smashing jobs done in a week.
I should have known really when the sledgehammer ended up in the boot of the car that something dramatic was about to happen.
This ‘building’, or ricketty pile of bricks, is built in the most inconvenient place in the allotment. It blocks access to a good 20sqm of space which could otherwise be useful.
I mentioned my wish to have this *eventually* removed to MrT a while ago.
So while I was planting my spuds, MrT was making some smashing and grunting noises around the back of my greenhouse. I would have been worried if I couldn’t hear his grumbles.
He didn’t move anything, he just wacked it.
We did, however, find out that those walls were supporting my greenhouse… Bugger. Now thats got to come down to as all of the wood is rotten and its being held up by its shelving!
Soon enough he had got it all down and stacked up the bricks nice and neatly while I finished putting my spuds in.
Just out of curiosity, who mounds theirs up and who doesn’t?
I just dig a hole, push my shovel forwards so that it makes a deeper hole, drop my spud in and then removed the spade and fill in the hole.
I don’t bother mounding them up unless a spud sticks above the surface and always seem to get as much of a crop as everyone else.
I also don’t faff about with worrying which are First, Second or Main crops. I just plonk them all in and harvest them when the plant tells me they need harvesting.
I have put 6 rows in, some of red King Edwards and some of Maris Pipers. I am waiting on the complaints and criticisms of the other plot holders on my site about my lack of lines and mounds, but to be honest the less work the better.
At least I got to use my adorable signs that I bought in the sales last year!