I’ve been neglecting my allotment these last few days/week… poor thing!
My onions desperately need hoeing which will be tonight job, and I still need to get all of the weeds removed from my final bed to get some peas, beans and pumpkins in!
So this week will be a manic one I am sure – it’s all made better when I found this though;
So I only managed to get down there for a few hours on Saturday.
I pulled up a few weeds, but because the ground was so dry it was like stone!
So instead I decided to make my mini flower bed for Rachel’s Sunflowers. It is right in front of my greenhouse annex so will be a lovely view when they grow!
I used some of the old roof tiles we dug up from around the plot to edge it. The edge is pretty tall, but that means that i can strim the grass without murdering the sunflowers in high season.
The grass still needs another layer of seeds adding as the birds have had a field day, but since I have now stopped them getting to the chicken food and its been a long winter, I thought I would be kind to them.
I used the tops of the milk bottles from MrT’s strawberry wall as name plates for the different sunflower types. Recycling at its best!
These will all get some sticks put in over the weekend, but for now I am letting them recover a bit.
It does look like the slugs are out in force though so a beer trap will soon be installed… bloody things. I picked a pot full later in the evening and the chickens thought it was Christmas!
Now just to try and keep on top of everything…